This course is designed as a means to give you a sound overview of how the shipping industry and the trading industry work in tandem to move the oil round the world. You will learn what to focus on when choosing a vessel, and what vetting issues might arise. The emphasis of the course is on sound commercial practice, drawing on the working knowledge and experience of the course experts. You will consider how commercial trading contracts and charter party negotiations need to stand side by side. You will understand how to calculate freight rates and demurrage looking at what the charter party allows and does not. It focuses on the implementation of tactics and practical strategies for enhancing commercial returns and business performance in tanker transportation, both from the charterers' and owners' perspectives. The final day is set aside for operational issues that arise and how to deal with them. This course is enhanced with the practical sessions to provide you with hands-on experience of decision making in this area.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The course is aimed at anyone who works in either the chartering or operational side of the oil tanker sector of the maritime industry:
- Traders, commercial, operational and financial personnel from trading, ship-owning & operating companies
- Transportation management
- Chemicals producers, trading & distribution companies
- Personnel from banks & financial institutions, accountants and law firms
YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- Understand key issues facing players in today’s energy shipping markets
- Calculate shipping requirements, such as Worldscale, calculate freight costs, undertake voyage estimate, and time charter conversions
- Know the process of tanker chartering and the role of the broker
- Evaluate the options available for oil, products and bulk liquid chemicals transportation
- Estimate freight rates for potential business
- Understand the essential elements of a voyage charter party and the differences in owners’ and charters’ obligations under different forms of charter
- Participate in the preparation for, and the conduct of, charter party negotiations
Upon the completion of the course you will be issued International Business House Certificate.
COURSE COMPRISES NUMBER OF TECHNICAL VISITS:
Visit Port of Rotterdam
World Port Center
3002 AP Rotterdam
Visit Vopak Terminal Europoort BV
3198 LS Europoort-Rotterdam